It's time for the school year to begin again. Time for school supplies and schedules. It may also be time for a new backpack. Here are some things to consider to keep your child safe and healthy when choosing a new backpack or while using their favorite one!
Tips for Backpack Safety
When purchasing a new backpack for your child, consider:
- A small to medium-sized backpack. This will help keep the weight lower.
- A backpack with various compartments. The weight of the items will be distributed more evenly.
- The wider and more padded the straps, the better.
- Adjustable straps. To help the backpack rest higher on their back.
While your child wears their backpack:
- The backpack should weigh no more than 5-10% of your child's body weight.
- It should not hang more than 4 inches below their waistline.
- Encourage them to wear both straps.
Source: American Chiropractic Association